Applying for free school meals
Why should I apply?
For every child that is entitled to free school meals the school receives extra funding to enhance provision and improve progress and outcomes for children. So please apply even if you do not wish to take up your free school meal.
What are the qualifying criteria for Free School Meals?
Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Infant free school meals in England
Your child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in:
- reception class
- year 1
- year 2
We still ask that you apply for this via the normal free school meals applications so as to prevent your child's school missing out on additional funding.
How long will it take to get a response?
You will receive an instant response as to whether you are entitled to free school meals once you have submitted your claim. All you need is your National Insurance Number and a current email address.
When your application is received, your eligibility will be checked with the Department for Education, Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue and Customs. If unsuccessful, children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will still receive universal infant free school meals.
Transferring to secondary school
If your child is currently receiving free school meals at their primary school and transferring to secondary school in September, you do not need to reapply. Entitlement will transfer automatically to their new school unless your financial circumstances change; if so you will be notified if they are no longer entitled.
If you wish to apply for free school meals, please click on the link below. If you require any assistance, please pop into the school office and Mrs Lochtman or Mrs Williams will be able to assist you.