The following breaktime snacks are allowed: fresh fruit and vegetables (prepared pots, whole pieces, sticks with dips); dried fruit without added sugar, fat or salt (e.g. apricots, sultanas, rasins) but not nuts; plain currant/raisin bread; bread (sandwich, savoury muffins, plain or filled bagel, baguette, pita or wrap); plain rice cakes; or pasta salad.
• All children in FS and KS1 have free fruit and vegetables every breaktime through the government’s fruit and vegetable initiative.
• Wednesday is free choice day, but no sweets or chocolate should be consumed.
• Nuts are not to be brought into school as there may be a serious risk of them triggering allergic reactions in other children.
• Biscuits, cereal bases and processed fruit bars are not part of the School Food Trust Standards as they are very high in saturated fat, sugar and/or salt and not considered healthy options outside of mealtimes.
• Milk is available free of charge to under fives and all other children can have milk at breaktimes if their parents have bought it through Cool Milk.
• Parents of children who, for medical reasons, may not be able to eat fruit and vegetables should discuss alternatives with the headteacher.
Children are not allowed to share snacks.