At Naunton Park, we aim to provide a rich, quality enquiry-based geography curriculum that allows children to:
- Develop a love of learning through inspiring a curiosity and fascination about the world we live in and encourage a sense of responsibility and respect.
- Experience and appreciate their local area whilst developing their locational knowledge of their surroundings and their place in the world.
- Be proud of their heritage and to value other cultures.
- Gain a deeper understanding of different parts of the world that they may not have experienced.
- Become responsible citizens, understanding the importance of sustainability, being eco-friendly and aware of factors that are impacting our environment.
- Become educated and up to date with current issues around the world and have hope for a better future.
At Naunton Park Primary School, it is our intention that Geography is taught through our 'Challenge Curriculum' as an enquiry-lead termly piece of work, as part of a whole school approach. This enables teachers to build on prior learning, provide a leaner curriculum with more opportunity for children to go deeper with their thinking and learning. Our teaching equips pupils with knowledge about places and people; resources in the environment; physical and human processes; formation and use of landscapes. We also want children to develop geographical skills: collecting and analysing data; using maps, globes, aerial photographs, and digital mapping to name and identify countries, continents, and oceans; and communicating information in a variety of ways. We want children to enjoy and love learning about geography by gaining this deep knowledge and skills, not just through experiences in the classroom, but also with the use of fieldwork and educational visits.
Alongside this, our leading literature enhances our pieces of work & the focus on the importance of reading helps the children to gain and develop knowledge in Geography. We ensure inclusion & accessibility of curriculum content to all pupils and value the importance of the progression of vocabulary through Geography from YR-Y6. We use assessment in geography to ensure we meet the children's needs and plan for progression going forwards. Please see Assessment Policy for more information.